Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Proverbs 16:33 "The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord."

I'm beginning to notice that Karen is definitely more tired toward the afternoon and early evening. I know that many of you are slapping your forehead and saying "duh! What else would he expect to see after major surgery", but I have always admitted that I am slow on the uptake when it comes to things like this. For Pete's sake, when we were dating Karen had to tell me THREE TIMES that there was no future for our relationship before I finally understood. Fortunately she was wrong :) but the point is still the same. I often need the obvious to be hammered into my head a few times before I see how obvious it really is.

Aside from the fatigue, however, Karen is doing remarkably well. She was noticeably more energetic this morning and when my Mom called she commented that it sounded like the old Karen.

I am also pleased to announce that Karen has now reached a real milestone in her growth as a patient. She actually passed up a fun opportunity this afternoon realizing (without help) that it might be a bit much for her at this point. Usual she only acquiesces after receiving a volley of "No" missiles from me and any other family and friends in the vicinity. This was momentous for her because it is the first time I can recall that I've heard her admit without "help" that she might need to rest. For Karen this is an epiphany of the 1st degree. When I heard her turn down the opportunity my jaw dropped, my eyebrows raised in astonishment, and for a moment I may have glimpsed a cartoon 'thought cloud' form above her head announcing that she finally realized that when you have brain surgery you really should slow down a bit.

As Karen continues to improve I've also been thinking over the past few days about the whole idea of odds and percentages. I'd like to think I am pretty tenacious in my pursuit of consistency. Whether it is in the context of politics, theology, or beer, I like to think that I'll be consistent in how I apply arguments, even to the point of having to make uncomfortable changes in beliefs or behaviors.

So as I was reflecting on the hurricane of emotions that was last week, I am pressed to apply my argument about odds and percentages consistently. As you may recall, I was significantly impacted by an article by John Piper called "Don't waste your cancer". For those of you who are interested you can read it here. (I'd encourage everyone to take a look. It's short but powerful).

In this article John Piper talks about the ten ways that a Christian can waste his cancer. In particular the third point struck me to the core. I think it had such a poignant impact because at that moment I was battling with the words of the surgeon after he had come down to talk about what he'd discovered during surgery. The words

"98% fatal ... Terminal ... 98% fatal ... Terminal ... 98% fatal ... Terminal ... 98% fatal ... Terminal ... 98% fatal ... Terminal ..."

kept pressing in on me. I knew that God could heal Karen but I also knew that these percentages were not pulled out of thin air. They were real and I had to come to terms with the reality of the situation.

When I read the following words, however, it was like a kick to my rear (uncomfortable but effective) ...

3. You will waste your cancer if you seek comfort from your odds rather than from God.


The design of God in your cancer is not to train you in the rationalistic, human calculation of odds. The world gets comfort from their odds. Not Christians. Some count their chariots (percentages of survival) and some count their horses (side effects of treatment), but we trust in the name of the LORD our God (Psalm 20:7). God’s design is clear from 2 Corinthians 1:9, “We felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.” The aim of God in your cancer (among a thousand other good things) is to knock props out from under our hearts so that we rely utterly on him.


I realized even before reading this that God is not bound by odds. He messes with the so called experts all the time and leaves them scratching their heads wondering what part of their calculous went wrong. But somehow the way Piper communicated this truth at that moment really provided me with a peace that carried me through until we got the news the next Thursday that Karen's cancer was not what they expected in the beginning. Her chances were now extremely good.

NOW FOR THE MOMENT OF CONSISTENCY

If I was not to put my hope in odds when it was 98 to 2 against Karen, should I now be putting my hope in odds when they are suddenly reversed in her favor? I'll admit that the good news did lift an enormous burden from my back and I finally felt myself breathing again. Nevertheless, at the moment the good news was delivered did I slip back into the trap of trusting in my odds rather than our Heavenly Father who seems to really get a kick out of frusterating the odds? I think I did to some extent.

Don't get me wrong. I am thankful for the new and promising prognosis. This is surely an answer to prayer. But I am reminded that I am required by the 9th commandment to be consistent in my thinking and more importantly to be consistent in my fidelity to Christ. My physical life remains in his hand, my spirtual life still rests in his finished work on the cross. Were do the odds come in then? I guess 'Odd' in this situation really should only be used to describe Karen's husband, and not her chances of survival. I'll leave Karens' future in bigger and beter hands than mine.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Dave. Just before we moved from our San Leandro Apt. (next door to PC and MC) Shawn had a mysterious medical ailment, a lump on his leg, behind the knee. He was in a considerable amount of discomfort and when he went to the doctor they told him they thought it was a blood clot. I was a bit of a basket case and was all about the odds. When they were shooting my 31 year old healthy husband up with blood thinners in the stomach I was not putting all of my trust in God.
Fortunately we found out within about a week that it was something rather innocuous (though the pesky thing is back now and he is going to have to have it surgically removed soon). At that time I struggled with exactly what you are talking about. I had to realize that I couldn't put my hope in the odds because the odds are still there that one of us could die in any number of ways (and of course... we will some day!). I was really convicted then about putting all things at the feet of Jesus.

I'm glad Karen is doing better and knowing her limits. I'm 100% sure I'd have the same struggle to make myself slow down.

God bless!
Nan

Anonymous said...

I realize this is a really lame comment, but that was a REALLY great post.

KK :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dave for your encouraging and true words about trusting God rather than odds, experts, and odd experts. So difficult to do sometimes...

Brian Cochran said...

Dave,
I'm glad you found this article. I read it about a month or so ago. It is very powerful.
I'll also never forget Rev. James Boice's address to his church (Tenth Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia), on the verge of his death from cancer. He asked that his church pray that most importantly God would be glorified in his situation. He said as much as he apreciates the prayers for healing, and as much as he would have liked to be healed, he also understood that the same God that is able to heal him could have also prevented him from getting cancer in the first place.

Praying for God's glory, and your enjoyment of Him during this trial,

Brian

1 Cor. 15:55 “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”

Brian Cochran said...

I just realized, I keep forgetting to address my comments to you and your family (since you post all the blogs).

We are definitely praying for you all!,

Brian and Julie

Anonymous said...

Read this this morning...and it had Karen's name all over it!

"Praise be to the Lord, for He has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song. The Lord is the strength of His people, a fortress of salvation for His annointed one. Save your people and bless your inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them forever."

Psalm 28:6-9

Praising God for answered prayer and continuing to trust Him for Karen's complete healing!

Melanie

Anonymous said...

You know that we're still praying and rejoicing for/with Karen and the whole family. Yesterday Lynn honked the horn as we pulled into our driveway because he thought he saw Karen working in her precious yard (he's always keeping an eye out because she has been known to be a little daring with those yard tools). As it turned out it was a family member out it the yard.
We're leaving in a bit for a vacation to So Cal for a week.
BEHAVE YOURSELVES AND KEEP UP THE GOOD RECOVERY.
We'll be praying for a plan of action from the doctors that will be tolerable and successful.
Love, Robin & Lynn

Anonymous said...

Yes Karen, you must listen to the advice of the others and TAKE IT EASY! (I hope I didn't sound like I was yelling that!)
I loved reading your post, Dave. We need to remember that God's healing power does not change with different types of diagnoses. He can heal an aggresive tumor as easily as a non-aggresive one but I am grateful God has given Karen a less aggresive one to ease our anxiety as we await further treatment. Thank you Lord!

We will continue to pray boldly.
Many Blessings,
Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Hello Greggs -

I(shelley)really appreciated this post, I had not seen this article before & am going to share it with everyone who is willing. What a fresh & empowering perspective. It is truly amazing how Gods powers work amoungst us & bring us what we need when we need it.

My grandmother has been battling breast cancer since 1996 & more recently had a whipple procedure for aggressive pancreatic cancer - which (believe it or not)is not related at all to her prior cancer struggle.

I have been sharing your blog with her & we have both found it uplifting & comforting. She is currently on her 2nd week of chemotherapy & this time is not any kinder than the last. When I spoke to her yesterday she was very sick & feeling down both physically & mentally. She spoke of frustration over the cost of her care (financially & physically) & most importantly not being able to go to Bible study as she just could not get control of the nausea. She was really disapointed as she was in need of some spiritual therapy to go along with all the medicine.

It is so easy to forget to cling to your faith & the the truth of the Lord & to testify to the miracles that only He can bring whether he answers your hopeful prayers or has a different destiny planned.

It is great to read such "good news" both medically & faithfully. We continue to keep you in our prayers & know the grace of God will continue to work his blessing.

Will & Shelley Isaak

Anonymous said...

Skatetrainer - love the discussion on chance. I have a good friend with a seven-year-old with stage four neuroblastoma. Almost no chance for recovery. He is now ten and no sign of the cancer. God creates a majority.