Sunday, September 24, 2006

We're at home now with Karen's parents (Gordon and Mary) enjoying a beautiful Livermore Sabbath's rest. Worship was wonderful. I was struck particualrly by the words of one of the Hymns ...


Great things He hath taught us great things He hath done
And great our rejoicing through Jesus the Son
But purer and higher and greater will be
Our wonder our transport when Jesus we see

It always bother's me when I notice how frequently the focus of my praise centers on all that God has DONE for me rather than all that he IS. He'd be worthy of praise even if he'd never done one thing for me. Don't get me wrong, though, I am thankful that he saw fit to extend his love in my direction. I am also thankful that the outlook for Karen is now so good. I just know that to a great extent my praise can be so self centered and fair weather.

I liked the words of this song because it starts out by recognizing God has done great things, but it ends where it ought to, in recognizing that ultimately our joy will simply be in seeing Christ face to face on the day he calls us home.

Great things He has Done!!!

Dave

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave and Karen: I have been out of touch for a while as I didn't have karen's blog with me. But my son Bill was here and had logged onto it so I found it and can now respond. Thanks for your reference to Bob in your blog..the prayers are working in many ways. A friend left me her lap top so I can keep in touch. Bob and I were brought to tears with what the doctors final word was on Karen..boy is our God powerful. We have drawn on God's words "I can do all things in Christ who gives me strength" and "All things work together for those who love the Lord and are called according to his purpose" many times in the past several days as I am sure you have too. We are so looking forward to seeing you soon in our church fellowship.
Hugs to you both,
Jane

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen. The christian's greatest hope is indeed to see Jesus face to face. This is what we long for and yet how often, not with purity of heart, but rather a desire to be relieved of our troubles. Lord forgive us where we fail.

Praising God for all His wonderful works toward you all. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you both at Church yesterday. The worshipping seemed a bit sweeter knowing the road God has been carrying you down and the prayers He has been so gracious to answer. We continue to pray for your recovery daily, Karen, and ask that God continue to hold you and guide on your path ahead.
Love to you both~Caroline for the whole Howard clan

Erik Wait said...

I dropped by the hosipital around 4:30 PM and visited Bob for about an hour today. We talked about theology - of course.

Bob was in good spirits but he looked tired. It is hard to sleep in the hospital because the nurses keep coming by to check his blood sugar all night long. My mom had the same problem when she had her triple bypass. Hopefully Bob will be going home on Thursday, if not sooner, where he can get some better sleep.

Just as I was leaving Jane came by. I couldn't talk to her very long because I was running short on the parking meter. But it was good to see her as well.

copperswife said...

It was so wonderful worshipping with you and your family yesterday! So GREAT to see you in church again, Karen!! Shedding tears of joy with you yesterday was so sweet, but our earthly joy will just pale in comparison with our eternal joy one day!

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful seeing your family at church this past Lord's Day! We've never been so happy to see someone crying. :-) We know they were tears of joy and we were right there with you.

Anonymous said...

"Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with you counsel,
and afterward you will take me into your glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
~Psalm 73:23-26

This verse has always brought my heart peace, and I hope it might help you too!