Sunday, September 17, 2006

I think today begins the start of a new phase of this saga. Karen was moved down to the regular recovery rooms and is now out of the ICU. Her current status is truly amazing. Less than 24 hours after brain surgery the doctors have told us she can go home tomorrow if she feels up to it. That is certainly a far cry from our original fears that she would not even be able to talk.

She essentially has no negative results from the surgery itself. That in itself is an answer to prayer that we are happy to receive.

As we begin this new chapter I think we're moving from some of the more acute challenges to the longer term challenge. We'll be meeting shortly with the oncologist and will begin the longer process of fighting the cancer that is still in her.

As I try to comprehend what this means and what it will look like as we move forward, I am confronted with at least one huge reality ... I am not in control ... and neither is Karen. This is a really hard concept to grasp for both of us. The whole idea that we have to rely on other people for help is not easy for either of us to acknowledge.

Everyone hopes that if a tragedy like this one strikes they will have the kind of support that we have experienced the last four days. But it isn't until the offers of assistance begin pouring in that you realize how odd it is to actually be on the receiving side of compassion. People like us do not like to admit that we need help. If I'm being honest I'd have to say that it is much more comfortable to be on the other end. When you are the one that is giving you feel a sense of control over the situation. In our current situation we are being offered help because we truly couldn't do this on our own. It's downright humbling.

I can't help but draw a comparison in my mind between this situation and the Christian message. After all, fundamental to the message of Christianity is the reality that we are all dead in our sin. We are all separated from a loving relationship with our Creator because our sin creates that insurmountrable rift between us and a holy God. We all have a fundamental need to be reconciled to the God who created us and sustains each and every molecule of our being. In short, we desperately need help.

And like our situation with Karen's cancer, the answer is not in trying to conjure up the strength you need by looking into the recesses of your own heart. But by God's grace we get to a point where we realize that we need to rest in someone else's efforts. We need to rely on the strength that comes from God's heart as that was historically expressed in him sending his only Son to die on the cross for the sins of his people.

What a humbling thing to realize how truly weak that we are. And then to remember what our Heavenly father tells us,

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

I thank Him for showing me my weakness. I thank him that I now have no choice but to trust in his strength and to remember that his hands are much much bigger than mine.

8 comments:

Papa Chanoli said...

God Bless you Bro. You, your lovely wife, and your little ones.

We'll be here. In prayer, in humility, in Christ our only salvation, you've got a heavenly host and a thousand faithful warriors by your side.


Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.

Isaiah 40:26

Anonymous said...

Even from New England love and prayers are abundant, and if there is anything at all that I can do from here I will, anything that needs me to be there I will be at any time.

Love,
Tasha, Ken, Morgan, Haleigh and Nickolas

Rebeca said...

I'm so glad to hear that she will be coming home soon! I pray for you all, even though I don't know you. (I came over here from Kendra's blog.) I pray for complete healing of her body, and that whatever treatment she needs will be effective. And grace and peace to you and your family.
It's wonderful that you have so much support. I recently went through something where I had to be on bedrest for a week and it was truly humbling to see the outpouring of love and help freely given to us; like you said, it's more comfortable to be on the other side! My husband also had cancer a few years ago, so I know some what goes along with that.
Many blessings to each of you,
Rebeca

Anonymous said...

I've been praying for Karen after hearing about her through Kendra's blog, Preschoolers and Peace.
I came over this morning for an update, and am so thankful to hear a good report: that the surgery went well, that she can go home soon!
I will continue to pray for Karen as she embarks on the next part of this journey.
May God enfold you in His loving arms through each step of this process.
~Stacy

Anonymous said...

We rejoice that Karen is able to go home so soon! Give a hug to that beautiful wife and tell her that the five of us are truly praying without ceasing.

We sang these words during worship yesterday. They seemed particularly fitting to:

O God beyond all praising,
we worship you today
and sing the love amazing
that songs cannot repay;
for we can only wonder
at every gift you send,
at blessings without number
and mercies without end:
we lift our hearts before you
and wait upon your word,
we honor and adore you,
our great and mighty Lord.

Then hear, O gracious Savior,
accept the love we bring,
that we who know your favor
may serve you as our king;
and whether our tomorrows
be filled with good or ill,
we'II triumph through our sorrows
and rise to bless you still:
to marvel at your beauty
and glory in your ways,
and make a joyful duty
our sacrifice of praise.

Love,
The Walkers

Anonymous said...

Yesterdays services at church, though sprinkled with tears, were so empowered by God. We felt his strong love and powerful strength, even as we dealt with the "why Karen" question. Let Karen know her encouraging words to worship Him on Sunday uplifted all of us. We are so blessed to have you all in our church family. Without question we will continue to pray for all of you.
Feel our hugs,
Bob and Jane

Anonymous said...

David, Your words are a ministry to us all. As we continue to pray for Karen and complete healing we include you in our prayers along with your children. The miles between us make helping difficult so we also include in prayer those who help and offer assistance. God's peace to you all. How wonderful Karen will be home soon. David and Karen in Spokane

Anonymous said...

"How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said,
You, who unto Jesus for refuge have fled?

In every condition, in sickness, in health;
In poverty’s vale, or abounding in wealth;
At home and abroad, on the land, on the sea,
As thy days may demand, shall thy strength ever be.

Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen and help thee, and cause thee to stand
Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of woe shall not thee overflow;
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

When through fiery trials thy pathways shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.

Even down to old age all My people shall prove
My sovereign, eternal, unchangeable love;
And when hoary hairs shall their temples adorn,
Like lambs they shall still in My bosom be borne.

The soul that on Jesus has leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to its foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I’ll never, no never, no never forsake."

Praise God for His sovereign and loving ways that in even what men dread most He works to His glory and the glorification of those who trust and fear Jesus Christ.

He has already sanctified this trial to you. When all other questions are left unanswered, this part of trials is clear.

Dave and Karen, you are in our constant thoughts and petitions. Our brethren at Grace prayed for Karen at AM worship yesterday and during our evening prayer time. We will continue.

Love, Mike & Autumn