Saturday, September 16, 2006

Well...I have been able to see Karen tonight and considering all that she is going through she is doing extremely well. She is recognizing faces and is obviously happy to see her friends and family who have come to visit. She is also able to verbalize, though with some difficulty due to her anesthetic stupor and swelling induced aphasia. For those of you who don't know, aphasia is the inability to come up with the words you are looking for to express a thought. I think this is related to a phenomenon that most mother's experience after chasing their small children around the house all day.

I am encouraged, but for now I am trying to learn to take things one day at a time. I may need to make the increments of time even smaller as we move forward, but for now a day at a time seem reasonable. As for tonight, I can go to bed truly content. I have seen my bride and she's as beautiful as ever. In fact, some things have not changed all that much. I mean, she's sleeping with her mouth open right now, but as those who know her well can attest, that is not much different than a normal night.

I can also go to bed knowing that I have an essentially endless line of loved ones who really want to help. That's certainly a bit of knowledge that many people will never be blessed to experience. And most importantly, I know that God's promises are as true right now as they were on Wednesday.

Good night for now,

Dave

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thus ends one of the hardest days of my life.

I can't tell you how thankful I am for the tenderness, love and support that our precious Savior has shown this family, Dave's family.

I am sanctified by all of you and your comments and prayers.

Thank you. What I have witnessed this day is a testimony to Gods sovereign grace.


Steve Gregg

Anonymous said...

Aphasia is what we often experience when think of God's goodness and try to find the words to praise him. It is also that which we experience in situations like this. We want to pray as we ought but the feelings are so deep we can only groan, make attempts to pray as we ought and groan more that we simply cannot. But God is good and those groans are borne heavenward by the Holy Spirit as sweet incense to God. We pray for you all...for Karen's recovery. God can raise the dead, a tumor is a small thing. We pray for the Dr.s and we pray for the comfort and peace of the family. Eli said it first, "It is the Lord, let him do what seems best to him."

Anonymous said...

I don't know your family but I am praying for you.

A sister in Christ,
Tracy in Ky

Anonymous said...

Today I prepare for worship with a heart more sensitized to God's tender mercies and awesome power. Today I prepare for worship with a heavy, but grateful heart.

We will sing loudly this morning--praises to a God Who Was, Is, and Is to Come. May that God, our mighty Lord, be a comfort to you today as you rest in Him. We love you and will continue to fervently pray on behalf of you and your family and friends!

"It is good to give thanks to the Lord and to sing praises to Your name, O Most high. To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night" Ps. 92:1-2

Nan said...

Praise God for little signs of encouragement, for miracles large and small. People everywhere are praying. A small church up in Canada will have Karen and your family in their congregational prayers this morning.
grace and peace,

Nan

Erik Wait said...

I walked about 10 miles at work last night, up and down stairs, and was praying for Karen the entire time. It was the first time I wasn't dead tired after such a long day.

I love you guys so much!