Friday, February 02, 2007

Sorry it has been so long since we updated you all. This past month has gotten busy with plenty of work stuff going on for both of us. There haven't been too many interesting updates about me, except perhaps that our whole family got really ill a couple of weeks ago and it hit me pretty hard. I am very slowly recovering from the 7 weeks of radiation treatment. I am completely bald (with minimal hair yet growing in), my voice (which was only whisper for a couple of weeks) comes back in a tiny bit more each day, my weakness still slows me down but gradual improvements are noticable week by week, and I'm still pretty dehydrated and drink water like crazy.

However, I do have so much to be thankful for. I have prayed often that the Lord will restore my singing voice and asked for humility in my ability to worship and praise His name again, and although it's very slow, He gradually restores it. My ability to think through things has improved quite a bit since September. I am able to function pretty normally with our 3 children again on a day-to-day basis. HUGELY, I have been overwhelmed by the immense graciousness, dedication, and generosity of our family and dear friends who have continued to help provide for us. I generally am a huge thankyou note writer :-) but have failed this year to directly thank the many loved ones for the precious gifts and incredible help. We thank the Lord often for you all - so tremendously grateful!

There is more interesting stuff coming up in the next two weeks. I have two large lumpy cysts on my head which are completely unrelated to the cancer, but being bald is a good time to have them removed. (Feb 7).

Feb 9th 6:30 - 10 p.m. : Follow-up MRI (of several more I'll be taking throughout the year)
Feb 13th : Appt. at UCSF with neuro-oncologist to see results
Feb 14th : Appt. in Walnut Creek with radiation oncologist to further discuss results.

Both oncologists are quite interested in seeing the results of the MRI (as are we!). They are both experts in the field, and have decades of experience between the two of them. I'm certain the meetings will be worthwhile.

We do hope for your prayers for the results, that the cancer in my head and spine will have reduced to nothing or next to it. Even if it doesn't, we trust in the Lord's will and His complete grace in loving and providing for us. We have been truly blessed and rely on Him completely for our next direction.

Love, Karen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you updated! My kids and I pray for you every day during our devotion time. I am glad that God is sustaining you, and I will pray earnestly for the cancer to be GONE. God bless and keep you.
Denise

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see an update from you. I have been praying for you since I came across your blog before Christmas. I will definitely pray about the results of your MRI. I pray for complete healing, and that the cancer will be gone! God bless you Karen ~ you're in my thoughts and prayers dear! Love, Kathy

Marie said...

Continuing in prayer for you, Karen, and so glad to hear you are getting some relief.

Nan said...

It's so good to get an update. Praying for full restoration in every way... and expediently that for the voice and the hair! :^)

Grace and peace,
Nan