Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The urgency of crisis has long since passed and has been replaced by the more subtle reminders that pop up at intervals throughout the day reminding us that life is moving forward but doesn’t look normal at all. The extremes of crisis make great fodder for writing and are also a sure fire remedy for writers block. Not long before Karen’s emergency I joked that the best artists are malcontent and deeply troubled. The tension in a life full of darkness and struggle tends to force one to confront the difficult subjects that the normal person rarely thinks about amidst the many distractions that lay within reach of the typical modern.

I don’t believe that I have ever been a malcontent and I don’t possess any allusions that this blog will find itself on a shelf next to any great author. I do, however, understand how a crisis can arouse in a person a sensitivity to these deeper themes. Now that the sense of crisis is gone, though, I find that the words don’t flow quite as easily.

So as we were chatting at dinner tonight about how things are going I asked if she would say a few words to you all. So here goes.

-------

My dearest husband has made quite an impression on you all (and me too!) with his delightful writing abilities. Mine aren't nearly as entertaining, but here goes...

I am really grateful that the radiation treatment only takes between 10 and 20 minutes now, rather than the 30+ minutes during the 2 days of preparation that were so intense they left me in tears. It’s getting easier now to make it through the daily struggle because the time with my face smashed on the table has been getting shorter as the days go on. I work hard to keep my focus elsewhere during the radiation. By occasionally closing my jaw I can move the pressure on my face from one part to another. Swallowing is also difficult so as the machine moves from one field to another I do my best to swallow a bit.

I also try to make the time pass by counting during each portion of the radiation treatment. So far it appears that I can count to around 30 for each side of my head and around 60 for both the top and bottom of my spine.

The best part is that when it’s all over my forehead and cheeks have large unattractive red indentations that remain prominently displayed for about an hour afterward. Thankfully the office is filled with a delightful and loving group of doctors, nurses and technicians. Yesterday I was getting really anxious as we drove to the appointment. I thought for sure I’d need to take some anti-anxiety medicine in order to make it through, but surprisingly after I got to the radiation center the staff there were so loving I was able to make it through without drugs and it was the easiest time yet.

Overall I'm happy to say that today (Tuesday) is the first day since I started on Thursday that I haven't been feeling pretty yucky. I can only hope that each of the next several days are like today...I want to let you all know how amazed I am by your devotion, prayers and generosity. Endless thank yous to you all!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure am glad to hear that all the treatment days aren't so rough.

Ever try to count all of the little blessings you witness during the course of a day?

It can't be done, at least not by me. But the bigger more tangible blessings like your having a better day stand out like a beacon in my day.

Love ya' girl. Many men wish they had your courage and strength.

My prayers today will be for continued treatments with less discomfort for you.

Anonymous said...

Every day is one more day down! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

So glad for an update! We don't know each other, but we are both mothers and believers, and I think of you often as I go about my day. The kids and I pray for you every day during our devotion time. May God continue to bless and keep you.

Denise in TX

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that as of Tuesday, things were getting a big more bearable. We love you, and keep you in our daily prayers :)

-the Walkers

Anonymous said...

You GO GIRL!!!

Glad there are the blessings of kindly staff and that you have better days....

BTW: your husband is a very good writer...and these posts will leave a wonderful legacy for your children and grandchildren...Of love, faith and courage....

Barb Lewis

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! We can only imagine the anxiety and discomfort you must be facing with each treatment. One thing we can say for sure is through all this you will know to what extent your reliance on our Sovereign God really is! Keep relying on Him and we will keep you in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Karen,

I know your parents and knew you when you were little. I've been keeping up with this site and praying for you and your family. Kay Rawlinson is my long time friend and keeps me up to date through all these years since 1975.

Watch "A Lesson from a Robin"
http://www.tommyswindow.com/new_downloads_english.htm

Here is the website of the guy that made the powerpoint. http://www.tommyswindow.com/

It's really good, we should watch it regularly. The "How is Started" section of the website is interesting too. Reminds me of the this website.

They were talking about letter writing today and Mom's rest home and I mentioned the blogspot is like renewing the beauty of letter writing. This power point and website is similar.

Hope you love it like I did,
Betty

Anonymous said...

Hi I am on peters blackberry and it has the smallest keyboard. Tried to punctuate but cannot figure it out. So try to read this as best you can my friend we got here safely and the kids are way tired thus a bit cranky but they shoud be recovered by tomorrow I hope. So thrilled to hear that they are getting the treatments streamlined and I laughed because I always count stuff to make time pass when I am stressed or can't sleep etc then I remember to pray and them I count again and then I am either done with the task or awake the next morning I wish that I could be here and see you we have to do a fun trip of some sort when you are done with the face smasher maybe disneyland or san diego we have both on our list. I pray for your healing pain relief and know that you are beibg blessed with michelles visit this week you really are well taken care of it makes me ache for other who go through this without the support that you have I am so glad that god is so big and so loving and so very merciful love to you glot cheryl

Nan said...

Glad to hear the treatments are improving. I hope you can remain nausea free (or as close as possible).
God bless!
Nan