Thursday, November 09, 2006

Today was Karen's first radiation treatment. The actual treatment went much better than the planning session yesterday. The primary reason for this was that it was much shorter.

Karen decided not to use the anti anxiety meds that the doctor had recommended that she try because she really wasn’t anxious about the procedure and it hadn’t helped the day before. Instead she tried a Vicadin to try to cut the pain a bit. In the end she doesn't think the vicadin helped so my guess is that tomorrow she'll be goin' hippie and not using any drugs at all. Actually, I guess that means that she'd be goin' anti hippie ... now I'm confused. Do hippies use drugs or not? Do they avoid legal drugs and only use illicit substances? Maybe they avoid drugs developed by corporations and stick to cottage industry “remedies.” In any case, since tomorrow’s procedure should be even shorter she doesn’t think she’ll need anything for the pain.

Unfortunately, a few hours after we got back from the hospital Karen started feeling really nauseous and got progressively worse as the day dragged on. She got many of the symptoms of a flu: vomiting, headache, chills, fatigue etc. When things didn’t get better on their own I called the radiation folks and asked them what we should do. They were really great and got a prescription sent over right away to our pharmacist. The good news is that the stuff that they prescribed is the best anti nausea medicine available today and that it worked really well. The bad news is that they only prescribe 2 pills at a time and the cost for each pill could provide your local yuppie (not to be confused with hippie) with fresh brewed Starbucks for about five weeks. (No joke).

I have to say, that at least for tonight it was worth the cost. Karen almost immediately felt better and as of about two minutes ago only had a light headache. She even ate the grilled cheese sandwiches I made for dinner! If that isn’t evidence of her dramatic turn around then I don’t know what would be. :)

As always thank you for your continued prayers.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying, praying!

-Wendy

Anonymous said...

Continuing in prayer!

Duchess of Fife said...

I'm so glad things went well yesterday. I'm still praying for her and especially for the pain during the procedure. I'm glad she found something to alleviate the nausea - who needs Starbucks anyway, eh :) Much love to you all! Emily

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to share that I was loosly, yet optimistically, calculating that you are fast approaching the half way mark of the 6 mon. no driving term. Thought that may cheer up your little ole' nauseous, smooshied head, but always cute and delightful self! I love you so much! GLOT... Excitedly, God loves you even more than that! :)
Blessings of a happy tummy are wished upon you! Love, cheryl xo

Marie said...

Hope today went better. Does your insurance cover the expensive pills or is there some way we can help with that? Let us know.

Anonymous said...

Just another late night check on you, my dear. Grilled cheese is one of the best meals of the house!!!! Yes, I will gladly give up the Starbucks, not that I go but twice a year, if any of that can help you. I am right with Marie!!!! Let us know, anything, anytime.

Much love from the atypically warm New England,

Tasha

Anonymous said...

Does the doctor's office have any samples of that expensive drug, by chance? I'm in NC and am praying for you and your family. I think of you often as I pray for my sister, who is in her second round of breast cancer. You have a lovely family and a wonderful husband!

Blessings,

Molly

Anonymous said...

2 things: Huppies like natural drugs... Take the anti-nausea before she goes to treatment and it should help A LOT! We are praying...

Anonymous said...

oh yes, Huppies... I was combining your term yuppies with hippies but what I meant to say was HIPPIES like natural drugs... we get the picture

Anonymous said...

Karen,
Pat and I were so happy to see you this past weekend. You looked great as usual, and your smile lit up the entire room.
We love you, and continue to pray for you and your family.
David, I'm proud to have met you, and proud to have you as a member of our extended family.
Dennis