Monday, November 19, 2007

After the appointment with Dr. Massullo last week he ordered a panel of blood work to be drawn in large part to verify the status of Karen's endocrine system (pituitary, thyroid etc.). This is a concern primarily because Karen's pituitary gland was radiated during her treatment and that tiny little gland acts as the control system for the rest of the endocrine system.

Karen's OBGYN called this morning to tell her that some of the levels that had been way off in the past were now very close to the normal range. There was (as usual) a significant caveat. It appears that Karen's thyroid may have pooped out.

I chatted with Dr. Massullo's colleague and he said that this can be very easily treated with thyroid medication. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

We'll discuss this with Dr. Massullo tomorrow at the same time we get the results from Karen's Liver MRI.

I'm hoping the new year will mark the transition into normalcy. No more "interesting" changes. All Hum Drum on the health front is the news we're hoping for.

In the meantime thank you all for your faithful prayers.

Dave.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Cousin Karen
My little girl Morgan and I pray for you most every night. I will be praying that the results on the liver are nothing. We love you guys. We sure wish we could have been there to see you for Grandma's 100th. May you have a blessed Thanksgiving. WE LOVE YOU!

MARTENS' FAMILY (DAVID)

Anonymous said...

Such good news posted yesterday, Tuesday! Praise the Lord!
Just want to comment re the thyroid: our daughter-in-law's thyroid was destroyed, and she's on the med, as is one of my coworkers whose thyroid was removed due to cancer. And Don's mother was on synthroid most of her life. One can live a perfectly healthy and full life on synthetic thyroid, but it usually takes months to get it regulated properly. Karen should be fine! Yea!

Thanks so much for all the updates (usually forwarded by Anna). We're rejoicing with you at God's unfailing love, mercy and grace.

Blessings from Don and Carol Peterson

Marie said...

I take thyroid supplements every day and have for ten years. Once a year or so, I get my blood drawn to see how the levels are. After about five years, they quit tweaking and then last year I got another increase.

My thyroid isn't dead, it's just almost dead, so maybe my experience would be different. However, the pill is teeny and easy and has no bad side effects that I can tell. It's like taking a vitamin every day.